Nasal Wash Otosan
Nasal wash ideal for daily nose hygiene and as a treatment for allergies, colds and sinusitis.
It is a CE medical device – Read the instructions for use carefully.
Nasal Wash Otosan
Otosan® Nasal Wash is useful in case of:
- nasal congestion;
- cold or allergic rhinitis;
- acute and chronic sinusitis;
- hypertrophic rhinitis during pregnancy;
- snoring at night;
- staying in dry or polluted environments;
- exposure to fumes and irritants;
- surgery (before and after);
- daily cleansing of the nasal cavities.
Since it is constantly in contact with a large number of allergens, impurities and polluting dusts, keeping the nose clean and clear is the first step to prevent alterations of the mucous membrane of the nose (blocked nose, itching and dryness) and to allow correct airflow in the respiratory tract.
Otosan® Nasal Wash:
- ensures cleansing of the mucous membrane of the nose;
- favours mucociliary clearance;
- improves breathing;
- hinders the stagnation of secretions and the resulting contamination process.
Otosan® Nasal Wash Kit contains:
- An easy-to-use bottle for daily nasal irrigation;
- A pack containing 30 sachets of saline solution enriched with sodium bicarbonate and hyalorunic acid with emollient and moisturising properties.
Otosan Nasal Wash does not contain preservatives or pharmacological substances.
Otosan® Nasal Wash contains 30 sachets of saline solution enriched with sodium bicarbonate and hyaluronic acid (International PATENT pending).
The saline solution with 1.1% concentration passes through the nasal cavities and allows thorough rinsing of the cavity, helping to disintegrate the bacterial biofilm.
Sodium bicarbonate balances the pH of the saline solution between 7 and 9, stimulating mucociliary clearance.
Hyaluronic acid is a polysaccharide with emollient, moisturising and protective properties.
Five recent clinical studies conducted on adults and children using a saline solution enriched with hyaluronan, proved that Otosan Nasal Wash speeds up the healing process and is considerably more effective than washes with only saline solution.
Fill the bottle with warm drinking water at a temperature of 35-40°C, up to the line indicating the 240 ml level.
Dissolve one or two sachets: isotonic or hypertonic solution (*see FAQ section).
Shake the bottle until the solution is completely dissolved in water.
Tip your head forward slightly, bending towards the sink, and hold the bottle upright.
Insert the end of the bottle into one nostril while breathing with your mouth open.
Gently press on the base of the bottle. Allow the solution to pour into the nose, coming out of the opposite nostril. While cleansing, breathe with your mouth open. After irrigation, wait a while with your head bent forward.
Repeat the same operation in the other nostril.
Blow your nose gently.
After each use, fill the bottle with water and a few drops of liquid soap, then shake vigorously for eff ective cleansing. When fi nished, rinse and dry thoroughly. We recommend replacing the bottle once every 3 months.
1) What are the benefits of nasal irrigation?
Effective removal of excess mucus, encrustation and clots provides relief in case of allergies, colds, sinusitis and after having surgeries, allowing you to breathe better and improving the quality of sleep. If used on a daily basis, it helps to expel allergens and polluting dust accumulated throughout the day and improves the mucociliary clearance mechanism.
2)How many times a day should Otosan® Nasal Wash be used for nasal irrigation?
Nasal irrigation with one sachet is recommended twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, even for prolonged use. Nasal irrigation with a hypertonic solution (2 sachets) is recommended twice a day, for a period of treatment of up to 10 days.
3) How many sachets of saline solution must be dissolved in 240 ml of water?
One sachet to obtain a solution with a well-balanced tone for the nose; two sachets for a hypertonic solution.
4) When should one sachet be used?
The isotonic solution obtained is useful for daily nasal cleansing and in the case of allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, colds and snoring at night.
5) When should two sachets be used? In cases of severe nasal congestion, chronic sinusitis and after having surgery.
6) Can nasal irrigation be performed also by pregnant women and children? Currently, Otosan® Nasal Wash components have no known side eff ects when used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Children aged six or older may use Otosan® Nasal Wash with the aid and under the supervision of an adult. For use on children under the age of six, please consult your doctor.
7) In which water can the Otosan® Nasal Wash saline solutions be dissolved? You can also use drinking water, however, especially after having surgery, it is better to use sterile water, previously boiled water or still mineral water. The water temperature must be warm (about 35-40°C).
8) What are the benefi ts of the hyaluronic acid contained in the Otosan® Nasal Wash saline solutions? It optimises tissue hydration and creates a barrier eff ect against external irritants.
9) Can nasal irrigation be performed using just water? No. Using non-saline water may damage the mucous membrane of the nose and reduce mucociliary clearance.
10) Can the Otosan® Nasal Wash saline solutions be replaced with a homemade preparation made with water and sea salt? No, it is not recommended. Measuring the right concentration of salt in water requires special expertise. Moreover, the additives contained in sea salt may be irritating.
11) Where can I purchase Otosan® Nasal Wash?
Otosan products are available in many natural product stores, over the counter drugstores and herbalist’s. To find the store closest to you, please visit the where to buy section.
Do you have any other questions? Write to us by filling out the data form.
Studies of the benefits of nasal irrigation:
- Melissa A. Pynnonen, MD; Shraddha S. Mukerji, MD; H. Myra Kim, ScD; Meredith E. Adams, MD; Jeffrey E. Terrell, MD. Nasal Saline for Chronic Sinonasal Symptoms. A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Otolaryngol head neck surg/vol 133 (no. 11), Nov 2007.
- Blake Papsin, MD, FRCSC Alison McTavish. Saline nasal irrigation. Its role as an adjunct treatment, MSCCanadian Family Physician. Le Médecin de famille canadien Vol 49: FEBRUARY 2003.
- Rabago D, Zgierska A. Saline nasal irrigation for upper respiratory conditions. Am Fam Physician. 2009 Nov 15;80(10):1117-9.
- Hermelingmeier KE, Weber RK, Hellmich M, Heubach CP, Mösges R. Nasal irrigation as an adjunctive treatment in allergic rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2012 Sep-Oct;26(5):e119-25.
Studies on the addition of hyaluronic acid:
- Macchi A., Terranova P., Digilio E., Castelnuovo P. Hyaluronan plus saline nasal washes in the treatment of rhino-sinusal in patients undergoing endoscopic surgery. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology., Vol. 26, no. 1, 137-145, 2013.
- Macchi A., Castelnuovo P., Terranova P., Digilio E. Effects of sodium hyaluronate in children with recurrent upper respiratory tract infections: results of a randomised controlled study. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology., Vol. 26, no. I, 127-135, 2013.
- Revello F., Valutazione clinica Otosan Nasal Wash, Torino, Italia, 2018.
- Gelardi M. et al., Effect of sodium hyaluronate on mucociliary clearance after functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol, Vol. 45, no. 3, 103-108, 2013.
- Garantziotis S. Brezina M, Castelnuovo P., Drago L. The role of hyaluronan in treatment of respiratory diseases, Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 310: L785-L795, 2016.
Recommended by an ever-increasing number of specialist physicians, nasal wash is a practice that involves pouring a hydro-saline solution into the nose, allowing the liquid to flow into one nostril and then letting it pour out from the other.
Many studies have shown that nasal irrigation, if performed on a daily basis, makes it easier to cleanse the mucosa, since it helps to eliminate excess mucus, pollen, crusts and substances accumulated throughout the day, which can compromise normal respiratory health.
In addition, thanks to their ability to expel impurities and keep the mucosa cleansed and moisturised, nasal washes are a complementary treatment to relieve the symptoms of diseases of the upper respiratory tract, accelerating healing and facilitating the recovery of the normal functions of the mucosa.
Otosan® research has combined this ancient technique with the most modern practical needs, creating Otosan® Nasal Wash, a nasal wash system that is easy and quick to use.
With its 30 pre-measured sachets and the irrigation bottle, specifically designed to ensure adequate flow pressure, Otosan® Nasal Wash is ideal for the daily hygiene of the mucous membranes of the nose and as an adjuvant for the treatment of allergies, colds and sinusitis.